The Center for Teaching and Learning supports Seattle campus instructors at all levels, from graduate teaching assistants to full professors. Through active listening and dialogue, CTL consultants will help you build on your personal expertise and on teaching- and learning-related research to identify teaching strategies that work for you and your students. Our goal is to support you in the development of a reflective teaching practice that results in learning environments that are inclusive, active, and learner-centered. Common areas of focus include:
- Inclusive teaching strategies
- Active learning strategies
- Responding to student feedback
- Course and syllabus design (in-person, hybrid, and online)
Types of consultations
CTL consults with instructors and departments at the Seattle campus. UW Tacoma instructors can contact the UWT Office of Digital Learning and UW Bothell instructors can contact the UWB Learning & Teaching Collaborative.
Individual or group consultations
- What to expect: Help defining your teaching challenge, identifying instructional goals, and developing strategies and resources useful in your particular teaching context.
- Audience: Instructors, graduate teaching assistants, and small groups (max. 10)
- Duration: Typically, 30-60 minutes
- What to expect: Facilitation designed to help your program- or departmental faculty identify, define, and come to agreement on teaching questions or issues that transcend individual courses.
- Audience: Groups of program- or departmental instructors and administrators
- Duration: Typically, 1 hour; often scheduled during regular faculty meeting time
- What to expect: An interactive session designed to help instructors develop specific active, inclusive, and learner-centered teaching practices.
- Audience: Program or departmental instructors (typically, a minimum of 12)
- Duration: Typically 1-2 hours
- Assistance developing programs, curricula, and assessments
- Help planning for peer review of teaching
Request a consultation, facilitated conversation, or workshop
So that we are able to adequately respond to your needs, we recommend submitting requests for individual consultations a minimum of 2 weeks in advance. Those requesting departmental/program sessions should submit their requests at least 4 weeks in advance of the desired session date. Please fill out and submit the request form below to request a consultation, facilitated conversation, or workshop.
Submit a request
What faculty are saying…
“The CTL helped me resolve an issue with my writing assignments and the students’ final project. They also helped me think about creating a more engaging classroom and gave me tips for that.”
– Carol Levin, Global Health
“The CTL consultant had not only read the documents that I had sent before the meeting, they had specific suggestions based on that reading. The consultant provided seven suggestions … I will be implementing these changes immediately.
– Caren Marzban, Statistics