Instructors may apply for teaching awards after receiving a nomination. Nominees will be notified of their nomination and invited to apply for award consideration. If a nominee elects to apply, they will be asked to provide the following information:
- Completed cover form
- List of courses taught
- List of teaching- and mentoring-related activities, including relevant scholarship related to teaching and learning
- Teaching statement (500 word max)
- Letter of support (500 word max) from a student
- Letter of support (500 word max) from a colleague
- Letter of support (500 word max) from a supervisor: chair/dean (DTA) or chair/dean/advisor (ETA)
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness from the prior 2 years (7 pages max). Evidence may include, but is not limited to, syllabi and assignments. Applicants are encouraged to annotate their materials with explanations of how they meet the award criteria.
Application submission process
Applicants will compile the documents above into a single, accessible PDF. They will submit this PDF to a google form emailed from email@example.com on November 18, 2022. Submissions are due on January 6, 2023.
The UW Center for Teaching and Learning, in collaboration with colleagues at UW Bothell and UW Tacoma, are pleased to announce the new teaching awards for 2023!
Distinguished Teaching Award for Teams
For instructional teams (2-5 people) from any UW Campus
Learn more about this new award!
Distinguished Teaching Award (Seattle campus)
For current faculty members at UW in Seattle
Excellence in Teaching Award (Seattle campus)
For current graduate TAs & graduate instructors at UW in Seattle
Distinguished Teaching Award (UW Bothell)
See the UW Bothell Distinguished Teaching Award
Distinguished Teaching Award (UW Tacoma)
See the UW Tacoma Distinguished Teaching Award
Award review committees will select recipients for these awards based on the degree to which they exemplify and provide evidence of:
- An iterative, reflective teaching practice with evidence of pedagogical experimentation and refinement over time
- Commitment to inclusive teaching and mentoring and valuing students’ experiences
- Dedication to creating transformative learning experiences that foster deep reflection and critical inquiry
- For individual awards: Service as a mentor, collaborator, and consultant to other faculty and/or teaching assistants
- For the team award: Using collaboration to enrich the learner experience and the UW teaching community
- Previous winners are ineligible.
- Recipients must be employed at UW in Spring 2023.
- Self-nominations are not accepted.
- Nov 11 – Nominations due
- Nov 18 – Nominees notified and invited to submit applications
- Jan 6 – Applications due
- Spring 2023 – Recipients announced
Seattle campus Distinguished Teaching Award, Excellence in Teaching Award, and Distinguished Teaching Award for Teams: firstname.lastname@example.org
UW Bothell Distinguished Teaching Award: email@example.com
UW Tacoma Distinguished Teaching Award: firstname.lastname@example.org