The UW Center for Teaching and Learning, in collaboration with colleagues at UW Bothell and UW Tacoma, are pleased to announce the new teaching awards for 2023!
Distinguished Teaching Award for Teams
For instructional teams (2-5 people) from any UW Campus
Distinguished Teaching Award (Seattle campus)
For current UW Seattle faculty members
Excellence in Teaching Award (Seattle campus)
For current UW Seattle graduate TAs & graduate instructors
Distinguished Teaching Award (UW Bothell)
See the UW Bothell Distinguished Teaching Award
Distinguished Teaching Award (UW Tacoma)
See the UW Tacoma Distinguished Teaching Award
Award review committees will select recipients for these awards based on the degree to which they exemplify and provide evidence of:
- An iterative, reflective teaching practice with evidence of pedagogical experimentation and refinement over time
- Commitment to inclusive teaching and mentoring and valuing students’ experiences
- Dedication to creating transformative learning experiences that foster deep reflection and critical inquiry
- For individual awards: Service as a mentor, collaborator, and consultant to other faculty and/or teaching assistants
- For the team award: Using collaboration to enrich the learner experience and the UW teaching community
- Previous winners are ineligible.
- Recipients must be employed at UW in Spring 2023.
Nominate an Inspiring Instructor by Nov 11, 2022
To submit a nomination, you must:
- Be a current UW student or employee (staff or faculty).
- Be logged into a UW Google account to access the nomination form. If you are signed into a personal Google/Gmail account, or you have not yet activated your UW google account, you will get a “restricted” notice when you attempt to open the form.
- Submit a completed nomination form by November 11, 2022.
We will begin accepting nominations on October 1.
Late nominations will not be considered.
Information for Nominees
Nominees may apply for an award after being notified of their nomination on Nov 18.
Nominees will be notified of their nomination and invited to apply for award consideration. If a nominee elects to apply, they will be asked to provide the following information:
- List of courses taught
- List of teaching- and mentoring-related activities, including relevant scholarship related to teaching and learning
- Teaching statement (500 word limit)
- 3 Letters of support (500 word limit each), one each from a:
- Supervisor: chair/dean (DTA) or chair/dean/advisor (ETA)
- Evidence of teaching effectiveness from the prior 2 years (7 pages max). Evidence may include, but is not limited to, syllabi and assignments. Applicants are encouraged to annotate their materials with explanations of how they meet the award criteria.
- Applicants will submit their compiled information in a PDF using a google form that will be linked here on November 18.
The Application Form will be available November 18.
- Nov 11 – Nominations due
- Nov 18 – Nominees notified and invited to submit applications
- Jan 6 – Applications due
- Spring 2023 – Recipients announced
Seattle campus Distinguished Teaching Award, Excellence in Teaching Award, and Distinguished Teaching Award for Teams: firstname.lastname@example.org
UW Bothell Distinguished Teaching Award: email@example.com
UW Tacoma Distinguished Teaching Award: firstname.lastname@example.org